Monday, July 23, 2007

Talking bout this generation...
(not that this is new.. but it certainly is getting worse)


“They'll have to shoot me first to take my gun” ~ Roy Rogers







Yesterday I was upstate at a swimming hole that looked like a scene out of a Sally Mann photograph. Everything was completely peaceful, beautiful and... violent. There were four very young brothers ranging in age from 5-10 with an assortmant of fake guns racing after one another.. some of their guns looked like hunting rifels and had scopes on them.. some were pistols.. machine guns.. what have you. I watched as the youngest one picked up the fake pistol, holding it to the back of his mother's head as she watched those swimming. He silently mouthed the gun popping once, twice, three times before turning to point it into his mouth, clicking the gun several times. The oldest probably freaked me out the most though as he was pointing with his scope at every single person in the swimming hole and silently mouthing the gun firing before aiming at the next. I understand boys will be boys.. but this makes me feel sick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a mother of an 8 year old I have to agree with you. We have a strict rule of no toy guns.