Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Gray Box, on Solitary Confinement



Pete Brook shared this... and I'm resharing because I think it's pretty powerful. I've been writing 7 men in super max prisons over the past 3 years.. and 5 of them have primarily been kept in isolation because they are on death row. While their letters sometimes reflect aspects of how mind numbingly, soul crushing this degree of isolation is... most of the time they mask it. Hiding behind cheerful words, drawings, projects, books they are reading. I can't wrap my head around any of it... because unless I live in a room that small by myself for that long.. I simply won't know what they are going through. This documentary really got to me.. I have had a penpal that has been in a secured housing unit since he was 16 years old. He's 36 now and serving life without parole. How does he function? How does he keep going? It just shakes me to the core to fathom this existence.

No comments: