Saturday, September 02, 2006

"The camera makes everyone a tourist in other people's reality, and eventually in one's own."- Sontag..










I've been in New Orleans since Wednesday and have barely lifted my camera up. I guess at this point I've no desire to be a tourist in this reality... perhaps my own... but not this one that keeps getting scoured over by photographers creating art out of what nature already put in place for them. I've seen the same sunken upside down houses, the same cars atop roofs, the same broken down realities regardless of it being in Aperture, in Hey Hot Shot, in galleries, in magazines, online, in news... it's nothing new, nothing but a sad sad reality that I've witnessed being swept back and cleaned up desperately by the people who lost all of it. At this point they are the only ones sweeping anything up... and putting their homes and lives back together. I'm glad that people are documenting it for the world to see... but at this point I'm sick of looking at it. Come live in it... put your camera away and see if you have any desire to hang out and just feel for a while.

No comments: